About the Club
The club was founded in 2006 by Alan Deneka and initially made up of Rolls Royce and Airbus employees, hence the name AvonJets. The club grew and in 2009 a Junior Club was launched. Since then the club has been going strong and continues to provide a friendly environment to get together and play badminton!
We are affiliated with the Avon badminton association
How it works
During the club nights we play doubles matches. On quieter nights (usually summer season) it's possible to use a court for singles matches.
We use a pegboard system to keep the games flowing. The top row represents the games in progress on the four courts. The bottom row represents the queue of players awaiting their next game.
- The rightmost peg in the queue is next to pick
- Select from the six pegs at the top of the queue
- When a court becomes free the pegs from that game will join the back of the queue
- By convention the winning side go ahead in the queue
- Put players' pegs into the court slot for the new game
- Inform the person who's turn it is next so they can decide their next pick
- If you are not playing, take your peg off the board
Occassionally we'll use an alternative system of Winners and Losers. This can be brought in to mix up the players or if there are more players than usual that evening.
- In this mode the queue splits into two.
- The winners of a game will join the "winners" queue
- The losers of a game will join the "losers" queue
- The player at the front of the winners queue chooses players from that queue whenever a winners (blue) court is free
- The player at the front of the losers queue chooses players from that queue whenever a losers (orange) court is free
Shuttlecocks are one of the main expenses for the club. As you can imagine we get through quite a few! Please be sparing with new shuttles and use the older "knockers" for knocking up. When you leave a court remember to bring back any "finished" shuttles.
Club members are welcome to use the changing rooms but please note that we do not have permission to use the showers.
Packing up at the end of the evening is everybody's responsibility. Separate the reusable shuttles into tubes of "knockers" and throw away the finished ones. Put everything back in the box and the box in the cupboard.
Be aware when walking by the court of an in-progress game.